This is the post for the week of January 29, 2018.
Note for This Week
- Grading Posts. For details on the work I have graded so far see these two posts:
Readings for This Week
- Professional Bio Statement assignment
- How to Write a Good LinkedIn Summary With Examples
- Watch Your Words in the Job Search (infographic on the right)
- The Official Biography, excerpted from The Tongue and Quill, Air Force Handbook 33-337 (pp. 257–264)
- Video from #WeekendWatch Post: Peer Review: Commenting Strategies (video, 5m4s)
Tasks for This Week
Here’s what you need to do for this week:
- Review the resources that can help you improve your Professional Bio:
- The advice articles
- The examples
- The LinkedIn Summary article. Your professional bio, with light revision, can frequently do double duty as the summary for your LinkedIn profile.
- The Word Choice in the Job Search infographic. These same tips apply to your bio.
- The Official Biography, from The Tongue and Quill. Useful for those pursuing military careers.
- Finish the draft of your Professional Bio, using the examples and advice on the assignment as well as in the readings (above) on this post.
- By 11:59PM on Wednesday, January 31, post a rough draft of your bio to your Writing Group in Canvas in the Group Feedback on Professional Bios Discussion. Additional instructions are in the Discussion.
- By 11:59PM on Friday, February 2, post feedback in Canvas to all your group members in the Group Feedback on Professional Bios Discussion. Remember to provide constructive feedback, following the advice on the Writing Groups page and the information in the #WeekendWatch video, Peer Review: Commenting Strategies. Additional instructions are in the Discussion.
- By 11:59PM on Friday, February 2, write your 02/02 Labor Log in Canvas. The grace period for your log entry ends at 11:59 PM on Monday, February 5.
- Revise your bio during the weekend and Monday, following the advice of the members of your group.
- By 11:59PM on Monday, February 5, submit your bio in the Professional Bios Assignment in Canvas. If you need additional time, submit your bio by the end of the grace period, at 11:59PM on Thursday, February 8.
Note: The infographic in today’s post needs a text-based transcript. See the Optional Accessibility Transcript Activity for more details.